Holy Days

April 02, 2015

Beautiful Thursday afternoon. 

After work, I headed straight to hear mass for Maundy Thursday. On the way, I remember when I was growing up, I always thought of it as "Monday Thursday" and always ask myself, "Why is it Monday Thursday"? Do we reset the days of the week? Until I realized that it's not Monday but Maundy.

Maundy came from a Latin word Mandatum which means command/commandment. Maundy refers to the commandments Jesus gave His disciples during The Last Supper which is to love and serve others with humility. Jesus also washed His disciples' feet during the celebration of the Passover meal. By performing this lowly act of service, the Bible says in John 13:1 that Jesus "showed them the full extent of his love." Through this, Jesus demonstrated how Christians are to love one another through humble service/s. Many churches practice foot-washing ceremonies as a part of their Maundy Thursday services.

Washing of feet during the mass at Church of Divine Mercy.

I've one prayer for today: I pray that people do not forget of what Holy Week is for. Nowadays, some if not most Christians, use these "off days" to go to the beach, party, go overseas. I don't see anything wrong about it as long as I pray that they still know and remember what these days are about.




You Might Also Like

1 Comment/s

  1. Did you know you can shorten your urls with Shortest and earn $$$ from every click on your shortened urls.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. Post with kindness x

Follow me on Instagram